CalFreshCalFresh Logo

CalFresh food benefits are now more accessible to college students!

What is CalFresh?

CalFresh food benefits are funds given to individuals to help supplement their food budget and buy food.

How do I buy food with CalFresh?

CalFresh benefits are accessed by using an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. An EBT card is used the same way you would use a debit or ATM card. Eligibility and the amount of CalFresh benefits you receive depend on your household size, income and certain living expenses.

How do I find out if I am eligible for CalFresh?

If you are a student and would like to learn about or see if you are eligible for additional funds to shop for groceries please see below:

Financial Literacy – Get Fit. Get Fiscally Fit.

Visit websites, watch videos, and view other resources to learn financial life management skills with Financial Aid and Scholarships Office Financial Literacy Resources.

Emergency Loans

Resources to help students become more financially stable.

Emergency Loans: Limited student Emergency Loan Funds are administered by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office and are loaned in small amounts to help students in critical short-term emergencies.

Budget Add-On Appeals: Students may request consideration of additional or higher expenses not included in the standard Cost of Attendance which could result in an increase to their current financial aid packages. More information about how to submit requests for the following expenses may be found at General Information and Instructions for Budget Add-Ons:

  • Books, Supplies, Tutorial Expenses
  • Child Care Expenses
  • Computer or course-related hardware/software/equipment
  • Rent and Utilities
  • Transportation

Financial Aid Contact

Phone: 858-534-4480

Emergency Grants

Basic Needs Emergency Grants: Available to assist students with urgent food and housing needs.

Please contact your Dean of Student Affairs for more information, see contact information below.

Emergency Housing

In collaboration with Associated Students, the Council of Deans, and Housing, Dining, Hospitality short term housing options may be available to students who find themselves housing insecure for financial, family, relationship-violence or other safety or emergent needs.

Please contact your Dean of Student Affairs for more information.

College Deans of Student Affairs

  • Revelle: 858-534- 3492
  • Muir: 858-534- 3587
  • Marshall: 858-534- 7395
  • Warren: 858-534- 4731
  • Roosevelt: 858-534- 2237
  • Sixth: 858-822- 5953